Here is Colette! It was her birthday last week. Here is what we think of her........
Tuesday, October 23, 2012
We had a fantastic time connecting with Texas yesterday. We are studying the life cycle and migration of the Monarch Butterfly. There were a lot of amazing facts that were new to us. Some of the facts that were new to some of us were:
- While inside the chrysalis the caterpillar turns into goo while changing into a butterfly!
- Montana's Monarch Butterflies migrate to Southern California while Monarchs from the other side of the Rocky Mountains migrate to Mexico.
- The migration of Monarchs are in danger due to tree cutting in Mexico.
- Generation 1-3 of the Monarch Butterfly live for only 30 days while the 4th generation will live up to 8 months.
- A male butterfly has brown spots on it's lower part of it's wings.
- There are actually 5 stages of the life cycle if you include when the caterpillar first hatches.
Amazing information we received yesterday. We can't wait for our next video conference.
Monday, October 15, 2012
Last week we had an afternoon with Mr. Short. He talked to us about safety, many types of safety. We talked about Halloween safety, weapon safety, stranger danger, and fire safety. The students really listened and had a lot of questions and comments and of course some stories. Thank you Steve!!!!